Being a paw parent can be quite difficult, especially if your dog loves to play outside in dirt or mud puddles. Dogs enjoy playing and rolling in mud or water puddles and this can be quite an exciting, fun, and enjoyable activity for them.
This can make your dog vulnerable to ticks. It is a very common issue in dogs, especially in active dogs. This can cause skin irritation, itching, loss of appetite, fever, and much more.
If your dog is suffering from ticks this is the perfect article for you.
In today’s article, we will come across the 6 best tick powders for dogs in India.
Before we get started with our list of products, let’s first have a look at what ticks are and their causes.
What are ticks?
Ticks are parasitic arachnids that can carry deadly diseases. They are approximately 3 to 5 mm in length depending upon their species, sex, fullness, and age. They tend to feed on their prey; aka your dog and easily infect you or your dog.
Symptoms of ticks on dogs
The symptoms of a tick bite depend upon the type of tick involved. Brown ticks may cause skin irritation and anemia. While on the other hand paralysis tick can cause severe symptoms like;
- Change in voice or bark
- Rapid breathing or coughing
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of coordination (being disoriented, wobbly, or not being able to get up)
- The affected dog may get lethargic or start vomiting.
The symptoms from a paralysis tick usually take 3 or more days to develop, after the tick bite. Hence, it is important to perform regular checks for a happy and healthy dog.
This mini buyer’s guide will give a better idea of how to buy the right anti-tick powder for your dog.
- Clean Ingredients — Look for simple yet effective ingredients. The product must contain antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties.
- No Nasty Chemicals — Avoid harmful ingredients like pesticides and parabens. Generally, parabens are non-toxic for dogs but if your dog has underlying health issues it can lead to allergic reactions. So keep it clean, keep it safe.
- Check reviews — Look for customer reviews online. Reviews are a great way to experience a product without even buying it. It gives you a better understanding of the quality and effectiveness of the product.
- Age restriction — Check for age restrictions, as most anti-tick powders can only be used on dogs that are 6 weeks or above.
Now that we have a full understanding of what to look for in a tick powder, let’s begin with the list of the 5 best tick powders for dogs in India.
1. VetVeda | Natural Dog Powder for Ticks and Fleas
VetVeda is an all-natural Indian brand. They aim to provide the goodness of herbs and treat general pet issues. Their powder is safe and is suitable for all types of dogs.
Not only that, they have a 4-star rating on Amazon.
- Effectively kills and repels ticks — This powder effectively kills all the ticks in a few applications. It also naturally repels ticks, mosquitos, fleas, and lice. Regular application (twice a week) can ensure great results.
- Calms treats and soothes irritated skin- This antifungal and anti-tick powder gets rid of bug bites, rashes, hot spots, skin infections, and allergic reactions. It also provides relief from irritated and itchy skin. No more itching and scratching, just fast and easy relief.
- Non-toxic and safe — It contains no talc, as talc is a cancer-causing agent. This powder is 100% safe for dogs over 8 weeks old. It is also free from pesticides and only contains natural ingredients like neem oil, clove oil, and eucalyptus oil.
- Suitable for all – It is suitable and safe for all breeds. Use according to the direction mentioned on the box for dogs. Any dog above the age of 8 weeks is suitable to use the powder.
- Mild fragrance- This pet powder for dogs will absorb sweat and body odor. It has a mild lemongrass scent that will leave your dog feeling fresh and relaxed.
If you’re looking for a refreshing, effective, and natural tick powder then this is a great option for you.
2. wuff-wuff Notix Anti-Tick and Flea Pet Care Powder for Dogs.
The wuff-Wuff anti-tick powder is an affordable and effective tick powder. It has a 4.3-star rating on Amazon and is highly praised for its scent and effectiveness.
- Treat skin infections — This powder easily kills ticks and fleas. It contains carbaryl which is non-toxic and effectively works against parasites.
- Gentle on the skin- The powder is light and won’t cause any irritation to the skin.
- Directions to apply — Easy to use, simply dust over the body and brush for even application. You need to apply the powder to the whole body after every three days. Best results with regular use. Pro-tip; give a bath to your dog before starting the treatment.
- Suitable — It is suitable for all kinds of breeds of any age.
- Prevention- For better prevention from ticks can be used regularly.
The powder is considered a “value for money” on Amazon and has an extremely low rate of returns. I would highly recommend you to check this powder for your itchy pooch.
3. Captain Zack Combo|IRradicate Tick Repellent Powder-75g for No Tick & Flea Also for Dog Bedding+ Barking Up The Tea Tree shampoo.
Captain Zack is a pet grooming brand that formulates its products intending to provide comfortable and reaction-free products to your canine buddy. Their products are infused with natural ingredients with 0 chemicals. This ensures that the products are reaction-free and 100% safe for dogs
- Eradicate Tick Repellent Powder- This is a gentle yet highly effective tick repellent powder. It contains IR3535 that is proven to be a great synthetic insect repellent. It will kill all kinds of ticks effectively and without irritating the dog’s skin. Not only that it is safe to use this powder daily for better protection from ticks, bugs, fleas, and mosquitos.
- Tea Tree Shampoo — This shampoo works miraculously by getting rid of ticks, reducing inflammation, and soothing irritated skin. It has anti-fungal and moisturizing properties. It also helps in maintaining a shiny, healthy, and nourished coat.
- No Chemicals — The brand believes in providing natural and safe products to pets. They don’t use any chemicals like pesticides that can cause adverse effects on dogs. Both the products are vegan, cruelty-free, fragrance-free, paraben-free, and safe for all dog breeds.
- Note- Puppies Six Weeks and above can only use these products.
- Safe Ingredients- The products contain eucalyptus, lemongrass, tea tree oil, vitamin E, and IR3535. It had antibacterial, antifungal, and insect repellent properties.
This is an amazing combo pack for dogs suffering from intense tick issues. The shampoo and powder work constructively and give your canine an itch-free coat.
4. Pawsitively Pet Care Sky Ec Tick Free Anti-Tick & Flea Powder For Dogs.
This powder has a 4-star rating on Amazon and is pocket-friendly. Pawsitively Anti-Tick & Flea Powder has a mild pleasant scent and works beautifully by easily getting rid of ticks.
- Usage — In case of heavy infestation, the treatment must be applied 2 to 3 times per week for an extended period. Can also be used once a week in case of mild or no infestation.
- Direction — The powder should be generously dusted all over the body and rubbed thoroughly down to the skin. Begin from the head and continue towards the back. Don’t forget the paws and the legs.
- Note- Gentle rub it against the direction of the hair
- Storage- The container must be stored in a cold and dry place. The lid must be closed tightly after use and keep away from moisture.
5. Himalaya Erina EP Powder for Dogs and Cats, Controls Skin Infections.
Himalaya is a well-known and trusted brand in India. The brand believes in providing effective and natural products. This powder has an amazing 4.2-star rating on Amazon and is loved by customers.
- Properties- Erina EP Powder has antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties that fight ticks and fleas. It also improves the overall health of the skin and prevents further skin infections.
- Ingredients — Neem is the best antifungal agent that helps relieve itching, redness, and irritation. While Eucalyptus on the other hand works as an antiseptic and germicidal agent that keeps ticks at bay.
- Directions to use- The powder must be applied liberally all over the body and rubbed well into the skin. Dust the best with some powder for a more effective result.
This product will help combat ticks easily and help improve immunity against skin infections. It is highly rated, a customer favorite, and is pocket-friendly.
How to prevent ticks on dogs.
Unfortunately, if your dog loves staying outdoors, there is no way to prevent your dog from getting in contact with ticks.
But after a romp outside where ticks could potentially be lurking, be sure to check your dog thoroughly. Building this habit will make sure your dog is always free from ticks.
As we all know prevention is better than cure, so make sure to follow these tips to prevent future tick infections.
- Look between the toes, legs, inside the ears, around the neck, and deep in the coat.
- Use effective treatments like powders, shampoos, or sprays to get rid of them.
- Perform daily searches and remove them immediately.
- A fine tweezer must be used to remove the ticks. Avoid tearing the tick, as it can spread infections in the affected area. Remember to be gentle and pull straight upward in a steady motion.
- Check your dog regularly, especially during the tick seasons; spring, summer, and fall.
Following these steps will help you treat and prevent ticks in the future.
Ticks are common in dogs, but they must not be left untreated. Using the right products will get rid of the parasite faster and effectively. Hopefully, this list helps you select the right anti-tick powder for your dog.