How often have you canceled your vaccination plans because you can’t leave your paw friend alone? Or certain flights just don’t allow pets on the aircraft, or they only allow certain breeds.
Well, you are not alone, most paw parents feel this pain and go through the same set of emotions. Separation is quite difficult for certain parents, especially if they have a service dog.
The best solution to your problem is to find the right flight for your pooch. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information easily available on the internet regarding this matter.
But in today’s article, you will come across How to carry a dog on a flight in India. Without further ado let’s get started.
Which Airline allows dogs?
Spicejet, Air India, and Jet Airways allow pets on board while they are not allowed on IndiGo and Air Asia.
Policies of different airlines
You need to follow a certain set of rules and fit some criteria to fly your dog on a flight. Every airline has a similar set of rules and regulations that they follow while carrying pets on their flight. Let’s have a look at them one by one.
1. Air India (Policy for domestic flights)
Air India allows pets on their flight with open arms. Small inoffensive domestic pets are allowed which includes dogs, cats, and birds.
The dog must be accompanied by a proper health and rabies certificate vaccination. Dogs will be allowed in the cabin or cargo hold at the owner’s risk in a domestic flight.
Such carriage is also subjected to the approval of the commander of the flight.
- Pregnant dogs are not accepted.
- Dogs must be at least 8 weeks of age to travel.
- The dog must be carried in a good ventilation basket/kennel. The prescribed size of the kennel should not exceed 18” X 18” X 12”.
- If you want to carry your dog in the cabin the weight of the container including the dog should not exceed 5kgs. Any dog that exceeds 5kgs must be carried in the cargo hold.
- A moisture absorbent material must be placed inside the container. The dog must be safely muzzled and leashed.
- A label will be affixed on the container with the dog’s name for identification purposes.
- The dog is not allowed to occupy any passenger seats.
- Minimum of 2 dogs are allowed per flight and the passenger with the pet must be seated in the last row of the booked cabin class.
- Dogs will be charged as additional baggage even if the passenger has no other baggage. They are not included in the free baggage allowance of the airline policy. The weight of the dog and the food container, everything will be charged accordingly.
- However, a well-trained guide dog (assistant dogs for the visually impaired or blind or people with hearing disabilities) might be allowed to travel free of charge. The dog must be well-behaved, properly muzzled, and leashed, along with health/vaccination certificates. If the passenger is completely dependent on the dog and needs constant assistance from the dog the airline might allow the dog free of charge.
Policy for international flight
- Dogs must be accompanied properly with the needed health/vaccination certificates.
- The dog must be free from Rabies, Leptospirosis, Canine Parvovirus, Distemper, etc.
- They must have entry permits and all required documents to enter the respected country.
- Transit will be temporarily accepted for carriage with an advance agreement and subjected to the carrier’s regulations.
- Passengers wanting to import/export their dogs into/from India from/into other countries are required to comply with certain regulations.
- The passenger must have an NOC (No objection certificate) or Per-Import certificate from AQCS (Animal Quarantine & Certification Service).
- The permission for the dog can only be acquired via Airports in India viz Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, and Kolkata. One can only get permission from the above-mentioned ports.
- If the permission for import or export is permitted by the AQCS Mumbai then the first port of arrival will be the Mumbai Airport only.
- The name of the dog owner in the official health certificates must match with the name on the flight ticket to establish the ownership.
- The dog may be subjected to QUARANTINE at the suited location at the dog owner’s expense. The quarantine period may vary and
- Above all domestic policy guidelines must also be followed in the case of international flights.
Rules for certain countries
- Air India is currently not permitted to carry live animals into specific countries’ viz the United Kingdom and Germany.
- Sri Lanka has a temporary suspension on importing dogs accompanied by passengers.
SpiceJet also allows pets in their aircraft. They fly domestic pets like cats and dogs on Boeing B737-800 and 900.
Dogs will be carried in the cargo section of the craft whether accompanied or not accompanied by the owner.
They, too, have a similar set of rules and regulations that must be followed before boarding a flight.
Policy for Pet carriage.
- No dogs are permitted to be on their flight except service dogs. SpiceJet only allows service dogs that accompany a disabled passenger.
- The dog must be fully vaccinated and must have all the necessary health certificates within 10 days of travel. All documents should be in English.
- If the dog is traveling internationally, the owner must provide required documents for the country the pet is traveling to along with health and vaccination certificates.
- Kennel size must not exceed 18″ X 18″ X 12″.
- The container/kennel should be made of non-chewable material with proper ventilation and soft edges.
- The container/kennel must be completely secure and escape-proof.
- Puppies must be above or at least 12 weeks of age.
- The company does not offer checked baggage service for animals.
- Dogs flying in the cargo facility must be checked in at the departing airport.
- During cold weather, an acclimation certificate is required for dogs traveling in cargo. Dogs are not allowed to travel when the actual or forecasted temperature is below 7.3 °C or above 29 °C at any city or location on itinerary unless the dog has a veterinarian’s statement of low-temperature adaptation (Acclimation Certificate).
- The owner will be responsible for health and government custom requirements, including quarantine period and arrangement.
- Female dogs with suckling young puppies are not allowed.
- Pregnant dogs are not allowed.
- Airline is not liable in case of any injuries/death.
Forbidden Dog Breeds on SpiceJet.
SpiceJet does not allow certain breeds as they are known to be susceptible to increased risk of health issues like heat stroke, travel stress, anxiety, or difficulty breathing.
Short muzzled and cross-breeds include :
- Bulldogs, Mastiffs, Spaniels, and all Boxers.
- Chow Chow
- Shih Tzu
- Pit Bull
- Japanese Chin, Japanese Spaniel, Japanese pug, and all breeds of pugs.
- Brussels Griffin
- Lhasa Apso
- Dogo Argentino
- Fila Brazillero
- Shar Pei
3. Jet Airways
Jet Airways also has a similar set of rules compared to SpiceJet and Air India. These are basic standard guidelines that must be followed by all dog owners. Following is just a small list of varied guidelines.
- It is recommended to always contact Jet Airways 24 hours in advance when you are supposed to book your dog as “accompanied baggage”.
- In Jet Airways the total weight of the container including the pet must not exceed 32kgs. If exceed the standard weight, the pet will be accepted for carriage only as cargo.
- Service dogs are allowed by the airline both domestically and internationally. They can travel with the owner in the passenger cabin free of charge.
- Passengers with disabilities that are dependent on their service dog are not required to inform the airline in advance. However, it is recommended to contact the airline before booking the flight in these conditions.
- It is mandatory for passengers who wish to bring their Emotional Support Dog along with them on the flight, to contact the airline 48 hours in advance. They must provide a recent document issued by a licensed mental health professional stating/ confirming that such a requirement must be provided.
- Pets are regarded as excess baggage and charged according to the route. Jet Airways has a fixed rate of Rs.5000 for domestic flights regardless of the weight and size of the dog.
Many airlines charge roughly around Rs.94 per kg on domestic flights. A domestic flight won’t cost you more than Rs.20,000.
International flights can vary from Rs.2 lakh to Rs.3lakh for small to medium-sized dogs. The rates for international flights are between Rs.550 to Rs.1,500 per kg.
Note — As mentioned above Jet Airways has a fixed rate and won’t charge you more than Rs.5000 for domestic flights regardless of their height and weight.
These pro-tips will make the journey a lot smoother for you and your pooch.
- Get a good high-quality kennel/container at least two weeks before your trip. This will ensure that the dog gets accustomed to it. It will also help you understand if your dog is comfortable or not.
- You must take your furry friend to the veterinarian before the flight. This step is cruel as the health of your dog must be assessed and all the vaccinations must be up-to-date.
- NEVER give a sedative to your pooch before embarking on any flight. Sedatives are strictly prohibited as your dog might suffer from serious health issues because of the change in pressure and height.
- If needed you can always opt for a natural pet calmer for your dog. But make sure you have discussed this with your veterinarian.
- Giving them their favorite soft toy is the best way to calm them.
- Try to feed less food before the journey as most dogs tend to have motion sickness during the fight.
- Keep them hydrated.
Traveling with your dog(s) is a lovely experience and is the perfect way to create unforgettable memories. I hope you guys found this article helpful and informative. Happy journey!